Tuesday, August 16, 2011

How does Ontario Works treat Income Tax Refunds 2?

I appreciate your comment. I'm hoping to find out where I stand first before I make Ontario Works aware of my income tax refunds. I am aware of which types of income must be reported to OW (as you have pointed out); but OW laws and policies are ambiguous on how 'income tax refunds' should be treated. The Act, The Regulations, and the Directives do mention that Ontario Tax Credits, GST Credits, and Child Benefit Tax Credits are considered exempt income for the month intended; but what about the other portion of a refund not derived from these tax credits? The law does not actually specify anything on how the rest of the refund should be treated. Also, the law mentions (albeit unclearly) that these exempt tax credits may be considered as chargeable 'ets' in the month following the receipt of the refund. There appears to be room for how this Income Policy can be interpreted by a local administrator. Since different local OW offices have their own application of the provincial directive

No comments:

Post a Comment